Vietnam Visa News
Ordinance On Entry, Exit And Residence Of Foreigners In Vietnam
Ordinance On Entry, Exit And Residence Of Foreigners In Vietnam
( No. 24/2000/PL- UBTVQH 10 of April 28,2000)
In order to contribute to implementing the State's policy on development of friendly and cooperative relations with foreign countries and protect national interests and sovereignty;
Pursuant to the 1992 Constitution of the Socialist Republic of Vietnam:
Pursuant to the Resolution of the 6 session of the X11 National Assembly on its 2000 program for law and ordinance making;
This Ordinance prescribes the entry, exit and residence of foreigners in Vietnam.
Chapter I : GENERAL PROVISIONS
Chapter II : ENTRY, EXIT, TRANSIT
Chapter III : RESIDENCE
Chapter IV : EXPULSION
Chapter V : STATE MANAGEMENT OVER ENTRY, EXIT AND RESIDENCE OF FOREIGNERS IN VIETNAM
Chapter VI : HANDLING OF VIOLATIONS
Chapter VII : IMPLEMENTATION PROVISIONS
Chapter I : GENERAL PROVISIONS
1. The Socialist Republic of Vietnam State facilitates the entry, exit and transit of foreigners; protects the lives, properties and other legitimate rights and interests of foreigners residing in Vietnam on the basis of Vietnamese laws and the international treaties which the Socialist Republic of Vietnam has signed or acceded to.
2. The foreigners who enter, exit, transit and/or reside in Vietnam must abide by Vietnamese laws and respect the traditions, customs, and practices of the Vietnamese people. It's strictly forbidden to abuse the entry into, exit from, transit and/or residence in Vietnam to break laws.
3. Where an international treaty which the Socialist Republic of Vietnam has signed or acceded to contains provisions on entry, exit, transit and residence of foreigners in Vietnam, which are contrary to the provisions of this Ordinance, the provisions of such international treaty shall apply.
1. Vietnamese agencies and organizations, Vietnam-based foreign agencies and organizations as well as international organizations, Vietnamese citizens and foreigners lawfully residing in Vietnam may invite foreigners into Vietnam.
2. Agencies, organizations and individuals that invite foreigners into Vietnam shall have to ensure the compliance with foreigners' entry purposes, ensure financial matters and their cooperation with the State bodies to settle arising problems for foreigners.
In this Ordinance, the following terms shall be construed as follow:
1. " Foreigners" are persons who do not bear the Vietnamese nationality;
2. "Permanently residing foreigners" are the foreigners who reside, work and earn their living permanently in Vietnam;
3. "Temporarily residing foreigners" are the foreigners who reside for a definite period of time in Vietnam :
4. "Entry" means to enter the Vietnamese territory through Vietnam's international border gates ;
5. "Exit" means to move out of the Vietnamese territory through Vietnam's international border gates ;
6. "Transit" means to go through the transit areas at Vietnam's international border gates.
1. Foreigners on entry or exit must have passports or passport substitute papers (hereinafter referred collectively to as passports) and have visas granted by competent Vietnamese agencies, except for case of visa exemption.
2. Foreigners shall carry out procedure to apply for Vietnamese visas at the exit and entry management agency of the Ministry of Public Security, the Consular Office of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, the Vietnamese diplomatic missions or consulates in foreign countries.
The visa application shall be replied within no more than 5 working days after the receipt of valid dossiers.
3. Persons aged under 14 who have been declared in the visa application of their escorts shall not have to fill in separate procedure for visa application.
1. Agencies, organizations and individuals that invite foreigners into Vietnam shall send their written requests to the entry and exit management agency of the Ministry of Public Security or the Consular Office of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.
2. A written request shall be replied within no more than 5 working days after the receipt of the request.
1. Foreigners applying for entry shall be granted visas at Vietnam's international border gates in the following cases:
a) They enter for funerals of their relatives, for visits to their seriously ill relatives;
b) They depart from countries where Vietnamese diplomatic missions and/or Consulates are not available.
c) They enter for visit under programs organized by international tour enterprises of Vietnam;
d) They enter to provide urgent technical support for programs, projects, to give first- aid to seriously ill person, accident victims, to provide rescue for victims of natural disasters and epidemics in Vietnam.
e) For other urgent reasons.
2. The exit and entry management agency of the Ministry of Public Security shall issue visas as prescribed in Clause 1 of this Article.
1. Vietnamese visas (hereinafter referred to as visas) are valid for entry, exit through Vietnam's international border gates.
2. The visas include the following types:
a) The single visa which is valid for use only once during the period of not more than 12 months;
b) Multiple visa which is valid for use more than once during the period of not more than 12 months
c) Not- extendable visa.
Visas already granted to foreigners may be cancelled in one of the circumstances prescribed in Articles 8 and 9 of this Ordinance.
1. The competent State bodies of Vietnam shall not let foreigners to enter the country if they fall under one of the following circumstances:
a) Failing to satisfy all conditions prescribed in Clause 1, Article 4 of this Ordinance;
b) Forging papers, deliberately making false declarations when carrying out procedures for entry application;
c) For reasons of preventing and/or combating epidemics;
d) Having seriously breached Vietnamese laws during their previous entries;
e) For reasons of protecting national security or other special reasons as decided by the Minister of Public Security.
2. The Minister of Public Security shall consider and decide to permit the foreigners falling in cases prescribed in Clause 1 of this Article to enter the country.
1. Foreigners may be suspended from exit in one of the following cases:
a) They are being examined for penal liability or being the defendants in civil, economic or labor cases;
b) They are being obliged to serve penal sentences;
c) They are being obliged to serve civil, economic or labor judgements;
d) They are being obliged to execute decisions on sanctioning administrative violations, to fulfill their tax obligations and other financial obligations.
2. Persons falling in cases prescribed in Points c and d of Clause 1, this Article, if being guaranteed with money, properties or other measures to ensure the performance of such obligations according to Vietnamese laws, may exit.
3. The investigation bodies, procuracies, courts and judgement- enforcing agencies of the provincial / municipal or higher level are competent to decide the temporary suspension of exit in cases prescribed at points a, b and c, Clause 1 of this Article.
The agencies competent to suspend exits shall have to issue decisions to unfreeze the exit suspension when the demand therefor no longer exits.
Decisions on exit suspension and decisions to unfreeze the exit suspension must be notified in writing to the Immigration Department of the Ministry of Public Security for implementation.
4. The Minister of Public Security shall decide the exit suspension applicable to foreigners falling in cases prescribed at point d, Clause 1 of this Article, at the requests of ministers, heads of ministerial - level agencies, heads of agencies attached to the Government or presidents of the People's Committees of provinces or centrally- run cities.
5. Persons who issue decisions on exit suspension propose the exit suspension contrary to the provisions of this Ordinance, if causing material losses to people being suspended from exit, shall have to make compensations therefor according to the provisions of law.
Persons who are on transit shall be exempt from visas; if they wish to enter Vietnam for visits, tourism on this occasion, their wish shall be deal with by the exit and entry management agency of the Ministry of Public Security in accordance with the Regulation issued by the Ministry of Public Security.
1. Foreigners on entry must register their residence purposes, duration and addresses in Vietnam and operate in strict accordance with the registered purposes.
2. Foreigners must not reside in areas banned from residence by foreigners.
Foreigners may travel freely on the Vietnamese territory in accordance with the registered purposes of entry, except for areas banned from travel by foreigners if wishing to enter prohibited areas, they must get permission of the competent State bodies of Vietnam managing such prohibited areas.
1. Foreigners temporarily residing in Vietnam under one of the following circumstances shall be considered for permanent residence:
a) They are people who have struggled for freedom and national independence, for socialism, for democracy and peace or for the cause of science, but have been subject to suppression.
b) They have meritorious contribution to the cause of building and defending the Vietnamese Fatherland.
c) They are spouses, offspring, parents of Vietnamese citizens residing in Vietnam.
2. Foreigners applying for permanent residence shall carry out the procedures there for at the Immigration Department of the Ministry of Public Security.
1. The permanently residing foreigners are granted the permanent residence cards by the competent immigration agencies of the Ministry of Public Security.
The permanent resident card bearers shall be exempt from visas upon their entry and exit.
2. The permanently residing foreigners shall have to report themselves and produce their permanent residence cards to the competent immigration agencies of the Ministry of Public Security once every three years ; if there is any change in their permanent residence addresses or other registered contents, they shall have to carry out the procedure there for at the card granting agencies.
3. The permanently residing foreigners shall have to declare and report their temporary residence to the competent immigration agencies of the Ministry of Public Security if they stay overnight outside their registered permanent residence addresses.
4. The permanent residence card- issuing agencies shall withdraw or cancel the cards when the card bearers leave for permanent residence in other countries or are expelled.
1. Foreigners may temporarily reside in Vietnam in accordance with the registered purposes, duration and addresses.
2. The temporary residence certificates shall be granted by the competent exit and entry management agencies of the Ministry of Public Security to foreigners at Vietnam's international border gates. The permitted temporary residence duration is compatible to the valid duration of visa.
The already granted temporary residence certificates may be cancelled or cut short in terms of their valid duration in cases where the certificate grantees breach Vietnamese laws or have their temporary residence contrary to the registered purposes.
Foreigners residing temporarily shall have to declare and report their temporary residence to the competent immigration agencies of the Ministry of Public Security, if requesting the granting, supplement or amendment of visas, extension of temporary residence or changes in the registered purposes of their temporary residence, they shall have to complete the procedure there for at the immigration agencies of the Ministry of Public Security.
3. Foreigners who temporarily reside for one year or more shall be granted the temporary residence cards by the competent immigration agencies of the Ministry of Public Security. The temporary residence cards shall be valid for between 1 and 3 years. The temporary residence card bearers shall be exempt from visas upon their entry and exit during the valid duration of the cards.
4. Foreigners who enjoy diplomatic or consular privileges and immunities shall fill in the procedure for granting, supplementing or amending visas, extending temporary residence and/or granting temporary residence cards at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.
5. The consideration, granting, supplement amendment of visas, the granting of temporary residence cards or the extension of temporary residence shall be effected within no more than 5 working days after the receipt of valid dossiers.
1. Foreigners shall be expelled from Vietnam in the following cases:
a) They are sentenced to expulsion by competent courts of Vietnam;
b) They are expelled by decisions of the Minister of Public Security;
2. The expulsion of foreigners who enjoy the diplomatic or consular privileges and immunities shall be handled through diplomatic channels.
1. The Immigration Department of the Ministry of Public Security shall have to enforce the expulsion judgements and decisions.
2. The expulsion judgements and decisions must be handed over by the exit and entry management agency of the Ministry of Public Security to the expelled persons 24 hours at the latest before the enforcement.
3. Where the expelled persons are unwilling to execute the expulsions judgements or decisions, the exit and entry management agency of the Ministry of Public Security shall apply coercive expulsion measures.
The contents of State management over the entry, exit and residence of foreigners in Vietnam include:
1. The promulgation of legal documents;
2. The conclusion of or accession to international treaties ;
3. The performance of entry, exit, transit and residence management activities
4. The State statistics;
5. The international cooperation;
6. Supervision, inspection examination and handling of law violations.
1. The Government exercises uniform State management over entry, exit and residence of foreigners in Vietnam.
The Ministry of Public Security shall be answerable to the Government for its prime responsibility in the exercise of State management over entry, exit and residence of foreigners in Vietnam.
2. The Government shall issue the Regulation on coordination among the ministries, the ministerial level agencies and the agencies attached to the Government; define the responsibility of People's Committees of all levels in exercising the State management over entry, exit and residence of foreigners in Vietnam.
1. Those who breach the provisions of this Ordinance shall, depending on the nature and seriousness of their violations, be administratively handled or examined for penal liability; if causing damage, they shall have to make compensation there for according to the provisions of law.
2. Those who abuse their positions and/or powers and breach the provisions of this Ordinance shall, depending on the nature of seriousness of their violation, be disciplined or examined for penal liability, if causing damage, they shall have to make compensation there for according to the provisions of law.
The complaints about administrative decisions, the denunciation of violations of the legislation on entry, exit and residence of foreigners in Vietnam shall comply with the provisions of the legislation on complain and denunciations.
This Ordinance is also applied to Vietnamese who carry foreign passports and are on entry, exit, transit or residing in Vietnam.
This Ordinance shall come into force as from August 14th, 2000.
This Ordinance shall replace the February 21, 1992 Ordinance on entry, exit, residence and travel of foreigners in Vietnam.
The previous regulations contrary to this Ordinance shall all be annulled.
The Government shall detail and guide the implementation of this Ordinance.
On behalf of the National Assembly Standing Committee
NONG DUC MANH
- Visa Exemption for Vietnamese People Residing Abroad
- Regulation On Foreigners Entry Into, Exit From, And Residence In Phu Quoc Island
- Detailing The Implementation Of The Ordinance On Entry, Exit And Residences In Vietnam
- Visa exemption for Vietnamese and Cambodian citizens
- Ministry of security founding anniversary on August 19th 1945 to August 19th 2013
- Why should you have some USD cash ready before going to Vietnam?
- Notice: Vietnam Traditional Holiday (Lunar New Year) from Jan/20/2012 to Jan/31/2012.
- Vietnam National Holiday 2014
- Why choosing Vietnam visa online?
- How do I get a Vietnam visa Exemption Certificate?
- Custom Luggage Policy for People Entry Vietnam
- Vietnam Immigration Department takes 4 days off to welcome New Year 2013
- Vietnam National Holiday Notice on August 20th 2012
- What is the visa on arrival? How to get it?
- What should I take note before submitting Vietnam Visa online?
- How to apply for 3-6 months multiple entry Visas on Arrival to Vietnam
- Longer process time of Vietnam visa on arrival for Indian from 2012
- Vietnam National Day Holiday from Sep/01/2012 to Sep/03/2012
- Notice: Vietnam visa stamping fee is raising from Jan 01, 2013
- Notice: Vietnam Traditional Holiday (Lunar New Year) from Feb/09/2013 to Feb/17/2013
- Notice: Vietnam holidays and International Labor Day from Apr/27/2013 to May/01/2013
- Now, do you want to have a Vietnam visa 6 months multiple entries?
- Vietnam visa extension when you are in Vietnam
- Vietnamvisacorp.com confirmed online payment system is not affected by OpenSSL “Heartbleed”
- VietnamVisaCorp.Com Announces New Website Design Launch
- Legitimate Approval Letter & Visa procedures at Vietnam Airports
- HOLIDAY NOTICE 2015
- URGENT NOTICE: Immigration Office is closed for Tet Holiday
- Alerts: IMMIGRATION DEPARTMENTS TAKES 2 DAYS OFF ON INDEPENDENCE DAY 2014
- Vietnam Immigration Department Opening hours
- Single entry Vietnam visa vs. Multiple entry Vietnam visa